Monday, November 10, 2014

McCulloch EM250 Chainsaw Oiler Repair







Fixing a major oil leak in the McCulloch EM250 chain saw

My EM250 chainsaw had a serious oil leak.  So, I decided to repair it myself.  First, I had to buy a tamper proof screwdriver set in order to take the chainsaw apart.   (There were two tamper proof screws securing the two halves of the yellow plastic shell together.)

After taking it apart, I discovered that the plastic hose from the oil reservoir tank had broken into many pieces.  I also discovered what appeared to be a small oil filter inserted into the outlet of the oil tank; and the filter had a metal fitting for the plastic hose.  From the oil tank, the plastic hose disappeared underneath the flywheel.

I then removed a retaining ring and a big washer and removed the flywheel.  Under the flywheel, there was a small spring loaded oil valve or oil pump.  (I think it is an oil valve that opens or closes as the flywheel comes up to speed thus allowing the flow of oil to the chain.  I think the flywheel moves along its shaft to open or close the valve.  The spring loaded shaft of the oil valve is in direct contact with the back side of the flywheel.  I don't think it is an oil pump because there is not enough movement of the flywheel along its shaft to perform as an oil pump.)

From the oil valve, another plastic hose (also broken in many pieces) is routed to the back side of the chain saw where the hose plugs into a fitting.  As oil enters this fitting, the oil goes through a small channel in the black plastic base and comes out through a small hole where the oil goes into the guide rail for the chain.  The guide rail must be aligned properly with this small hole.


To replace the broken plastic hose, I used small rubber tubing (approximately 1/4" OD).  I did not use the oil filter with the rubber tubing;  I just inserted the tubing through the small hole in the bottom side of the oil tank.  I had to cut two separate pieces of tubing to fit; one from the tank to the oil valve, and one from the valve to the fitting on the back side of the chainsaw.  To install the second piece of tubing, I had to take the chainsaw guts out of the yellow plastic housing.  (Be careful as you remove the various parts; take pictures to help you remember where the parts go.  And save all parts removed for later installation.



After putting the chainsaw back together, be sure to adjust the tension on the chain according to the manufacturer's recommendations.  Use the tension adjustment screw at the base of the guide bar.

To understand the principle of how a chainsaw oiler works (in general terms), I recommend this YouTube video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmUkieIP-vw


No comments:


Post a Comment









6 comments:

  1. Thanks much for this posting. I have the same issue and am in the process of repairing it. Questions: a) What is the correct ID and OD of the oil tubing; b) what prevents oil from leaking from the insertion hole on the oil tank?

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so mmany interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post! Zahtjev za američku vizu

    ReplyDelete
  3. very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so mmany interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post! zahtjev za indijsku vizu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hangzhou Qirui parts is one of the leading Carbide Chainsaw Chain, Guide Bar manufacturers and suppliers in China, also supporting customized service. Be free to wholesale high quality products from our factory. China saw chain factory

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic post! I came across your blog by chance and wanted to express how much I've been enjoying your articles. Thanks for the post ! visit at saw summary

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete